Thursday, September 28, 2006

HATERATION

my whole life i've been told and encouraged to be a "good muslim." from my parents taking me to sunday school, to supporting my habit of going to the masjid, etc, my folks have made religion a central theme in my life.
but the support wasn't just coming from my parents, it came from all sorts of friends, family, extended family, fellow masjid goers, and (at times) even non-muslims. one thing is for sure, growing up, there was never a shortage of support for doing good...and being a practicing muslim.

recently, i've made a decision to make some changes to my appearance (in accordance to the teachings of islam). i've let my beard grow out (a bit) and started rolling up my pants (nothing in my opinion, too drastic). i figured changing the outside is relatively easy...and will hopefully bring about inward changes, something i've found quite difficult.

but it seems like times have changed for the worse. everyone and there mom has started the HATERATION. close friends and family have made my beard a central issue. i suddenly feel ostracized for doing something mandated by the shariah (islamic law). is my beard that big of a deal, seriously? masses of people have beards longer, shaggier, and far less groomed than mine, are they faced with the same sort of criticism and scrutiny?

i guess the difficulty i'm faced with is nothing compared to what the pious predecessors had to deal with. perhaps, i'm internalizing things to a degree greater than what is necessary. oh well, hopefully i won't change, but the people will come around...or at least stop the HATERATION.